The Evolution of Salsa Music
Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Since 1987, Cincinnati, Ohio has seen a tremendous growth in Salsa music. From the days of the Havana Martini Club featuring a salsa band every Sunday evening to the twenty-two weeks of Salsa on the Square during the summer months. During the last 32 years Cincinnati has had more Salsa bands then all the Tri-State and surrounding areas.
But, how did Salsa music evolve? How did it get to Cincinnati, Ohio?
This workshop will time-travel back to Cuba, the origins of salsa music. It will visit and explore the evolution of salsa music through each decade from the 1920s – 2000s. And how and when it reached Cincinnati, Ohio. We’ll listen to music from the 1930s during the Rhumba era. The Mambo craze of the 1950s. The Boogaloo of the 1960s in New York City and finally the Salsa Explosion of the 1970s.
If you want, you can come with your dancing shoes!
- Spring 2021 Session: 2 weeks (May 22 – 29, 2021)
- Summer 2021 Session: 2 weeks (August 21 – 28, 2021)
- Cost: $30 for 2-week session
- Class Size: 5 – 15 students enrolled
- Health & Safety Measures: To read CCAC’s Covid-19 Preparedness Measures and Requirements for Participation, please visit http://cliftonculturalarts.org/covid19
- How to Register: Please email instructor at firstname.lastname@example.org with “The Evolution of Salsa Music” in the subject line. Class sessions are held In Person. Class registration will be confirmed via email, with tuition due before the first day of class.
About the Instructor: Victor Vélez
Musical credentials: Vélez musical experience began in 1973, joining his first band, Orchestra Unique amid the salsa explosion in New York City. Upon arriving to Cincinnati, Ohio in joined Latin X-posure in 1998. He co-founded, Son del Caribe with Jaime Morales in 2001. He has performed with, “Fiesta del Soul,” “Monk River Latin Jazz,” “Salsa Caliente,” and is band manager to “Orquesta Kandela.” He recently completed “Salsanati” a book about the history of Salsa and Latin Jazz in Cincinnati, Ohio.