- Jan 07, 2020 - Mar 10, 2020
- 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- $5 per class
Introduction to Improv Theatre
Winter 2020 Session has been cancelled.
Tuesdays 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
From Whose Line is it Anyway? to Chicago’s Second City, improv is an art form that combines on-your-feet thinking with free-wheeling comedy. But there’s more to improv than just making up jokes off the top of your head. If you’re curious about improv, love theater and comedy, or just want to get out of your comfort zone, this course is for you! We’ll cover all the basics of improv:
- How an improv scene works
- Being an effective scene partner, supporting your fellow players and making them shine
- The beats of a scene, heightening, gift-giving in improv and Game of the Scene
- How to get un-stuck from a scene and on-the-fly improv decision making
- Object work, physicality, scene editing and transitions
The class will culminate in a performance for family and friends to show off what you’ve learned. Improv is a trust-based art form, so all participants will be asked to observe a culture of mutual respect, building on each others’ ideas, and playing to everyone’s strength, abilities and comfort. Improv is a participatory art form, so please come ready to play and learn!
- Session: 10 weeks (January 7 – March 10, 2020) The Winter 2020 Session has been cancelled.
- Cost: $5 per class (scholarships available)
- Class Size: Minimum of 4 students required to run class; no more than 16 students enrolled.
- How to Register: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Introduction to Improv Theatre” in the subject line. Registration will be confirmed via email, with class payments made prior to the start of class each week.
About the Instructor: David Rhodenbaugh and Harrison Lee
Instructors David Rhodenbaugh and Harrison Lee have a combined twenty years of improv experience, including 8 years working alongside each other as alternating directors for the Cincinnati improv troupe Highly Improvable. They’ve helped instruct performers who’ve gone on to perform with Cincinnati-based ComedySportz and OTRimprov, and Chicago-based Second City.