- Mar 07, 2021
- 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
CCAC Virtual Master Class Series: Juan Martín
Sunday, March 7 from 2:00 – 4:00pm
A celebrated virtuoso of the flamenco guitar who has been voted into the top three guitarists in the world by US magazine ‘Guitar Player’, Juan Martín learned his art in the land of his origin, Málaga, Andalucia. Aged 17, he played in the Spanish film ‘Donde tu estes’ filmed in Málaga. He has recorded 20 albums including Musica Alhambra, The Andalucian Suites and Solo mostly as a composer as well as 3 films with his dance company, one recorded in Istanbul and two at the Barbican in London. His original method book ‘El Arte Flamenco de la Guitarra’, considered to be the ‘bible’ of flamenco guitar, is in its eleventh print and widely translated. His other dvds/books are distributed by Faber Music and Mel Bay and are translated into many languages including a new official Chinese version. He was invited to play concerts in Beijing and Shanghai to celebrate this new publication. He was honored to be asked by Sir Roland Penrose to play for Picasso’s 90th birthday celebrations and has performed in international festivals from Hong Kong to Montreux Jazz with Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock and at the First World Guitar Congress in the USA. His tours have taken him around the world from Australia, America and Canada to China, the Middle and Far East. The paper El Mundo in Spain said of him that ‘he has a terrifyingly good technique and absolute dominance of the guitar’.
As a Master Class participant, you may present a piece, along with specific questions, for Maestro Martín. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to observe and learn from your fellow participants, along with Juan Martín’s expert coaching and advice.
- Session: Sunday, March 7 from 2:00 – 4:00pm
- Cost: $50/session
- What to bring to master class:
- Your guitar (please tune and warm-up beforehand).
- A guitar piece you are currently working on.
- Questions for Juan Martín.
- A pencil with eraser.
- An open, “beginner mind”.
- How to Register: Contact Manuel Susarret at email@example.com to register and receive Zoom meeting details.
Important considerations for meeting virtually:
- Well-lit space (light source in front or to the side, not behind you)
- Straight-back, armless chair
- Music stand (or a second chair) for your music
- WiFi-connected device