Mondays, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Express yourself freely from the inside out! We’ll express ourselves with shapes, colors, and lines, and mark-making techniques like layering, erasing. Discover how abstraction makes intuitive, personal sense, with universal resonances. We’ll learn from other artists’ work and words; we’ll develop intuitively and formally.
See below for materials list.
- Age: 16+
- Session: 5 weeks (September 26 – October 24, 2022)
- Instructor: Deb Brod
- Cost: $120/student
- Class Size: minimum of 4 students registered to run class; no more than 12 students total
- Class Location: CCAC @ Short Vine (2728 Short Vine Street).
- Registration Deadline: September 23
- White paper pad: good quality drawing paper (about 60 lb or better), at least 11” x 14”
- Oil pastels and/or water-soluble oil pastels (with water-brush): at least 12 colors, including white, black
- Conté crayon, black; and/or square charcoal stick
- Cloth rag(s), q-tips, cotton balls, and/or tortillons for smudging, smoothing, cleaning, etc.
Deb enjoys teaching art and sharing her love of art-making and its countless therapeutic effects with people of all ages. She has taught and led community-based art projects through the Ohio Arts Council, community arts centers, schools, art museums, and many other organizations. She has created artwork for commissions (including for the Taft Museum of Art and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital), and exhibited her artwork made with many media and approaches including, painting, textiles, and installation, in the midwest (including at Cincinnati’s Contemporary Arts Center), and occasionally other parts of the country and the world. In college, Deb studied French, art history, and fine art, culminating in a masters degree in fine art in painting. Although her work often appears abstract, or non-representational, the sources of Deb’s inspiration draw on both her inner life and the outer world, and range from nature to human nature.