Mondays, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Express yourself freely from the inside out! We’ll journey without judgement into the land of shapes, colors, lines, and more: an experiential journey, with drawing/painting exercises to deepen our understanding of visual language, our world, and ourselves. Students will learn from other artists’ work and words, and discover how abstraction in art can resonate both personally and universally.
See below for materials list.
- Age: 16+
- Session: 5 weeks (January 23 – February 20, 2023)
- Instructor: Deb Brod
- Cost: $150/student
- Class Size: minimum of 4 students registered to run class; no more than 12 students total
- Class Location: CCAC @ Short Vine (2728 Short Vine Street).
- Registration Deadline: January 16, 2023
Materials for the first day:
- White paper pad: good quality drawing paper (about 60 lb or better), at least 11” x 14
- Oil pastels and/or water-soluble oil pastels (with water-brush): at least 12 colors, including white, black
- Conté crayon, black; and/or square charcoal stick
- Graphite pencil and/or charcoal pencil
- Cloth rag(s), q-tips, cotton balls, and/or tortillons for smudging, smoothing, cleaning, etc.
Deb enjoys teaching art and sharing her love of art-making and its countless therapeutic effects with people of all ages. She has taught and led community-based art projects through the Ohio Arts Council, community arts centers, schools, art museums, and many other organizations. She has created artwork for commissions (including for the Taft Museum of Art and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital), and exhibited her artwork made with many media and approaches including, painting, textiles, and installation, in the midwest (including at Cincinnati’s Contemporary Arts Center), and occasionally other parts of the country and the world. In college, Deb studied French, art history, and fine art, culminating in a masters degree in fine art in painting. Although her work often appears abstract, or non-representational, the sources of Deb’s inspiration draw on both her inner life and the outer world, and range from nature to human nature.